Course DescriptionThis foundational course seeks to demystify the myriad new ways that audiences are consuming and interacting with content. Across social media, SVOD and even AR/VR, we will explore how new platforms stimulate new business models as well as new consumer behaviors. What makes a show "binge-worthy?" is one such question we'll explore as we identify companies and content creators who are contributing to this shifting landscape. Additional topics will include fandom, franchises, and the portability of content across mediums. By tracking the evolution of today's media landscape, we will touch on trends that speak to hypotheses about future storytelling delivery. This broad overview will provide students with new industry insights to inform their own content creation.
Course OutlineGain new industry insights to inform content creation.
Earn Continuing Education Units (CEUs) if attendance* and course** requirements are met. Continuing Education Units (CEUs) earned in this specialization are not transferable to other programs. Academic Units (AUs) and CEUs earned in other programs are not transferable to this specialization.
*Must attend 9 out of 11 sessions.
**Must participate in course as noted in syllabus.
MGMT 838.1 Digital Content Foundations: An Overview of Storytelling Across Platforms is currently only offered once a year in the fall.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Digital Storytelling & Multi-Platform Strategy : Required
- General Business Studies with Concentration in Emergency Management & Homeland Security : Electives - Management
- General Business Studies with Concentration in Finance : Electives - Management
- General Business Studies with Concentration in Leadership : Electives - Management
- General Business Studies with Concentration in Real Estate : Electives - Management